Wednesday, November 16, 2011

"Why are you still doing this?..You've achieved your 6pack for the rolex challenge already right?"

Little do the people who asked me this understand that it's not just about the rolex challenge. It's not just about winning a watch. It's more about what it represents. It's about a lifestyle. A lifelong commitment towards fitness. Just because I got my 6-pack abs back in October this year and hence submitted my achievement for the rolex challenge does not mean that it is over and I change the way I've lived the last year and most importantly the last 5-6 months. God knows I wanna win the rolex challenge more than anyone could imagine. It means the whole world to me now. I am very confident of winning it!... But hypothetically speaking what if I dont? Sure, I'll be disappointed. But will I stop working out and keeping fit? I don't think so! In fact, yes, being at 9% body fat and being fit is great but next year I strive to be at 6% or maybe less than that to look ultra ripped! Apart from that, I plan to go on various road trips by bicycle, lot of hikes but that's another story, another time.

My late father had diabetes. My mom has diabetes. One of my uncles had brain tumor due to excessive smoking and died a slow 2-year long painful death. My grandparents died of ill health. And the story continues. I, as everyone knows was in phenomenally bad shape and very in-disciplined in most aspects of life. Most of my near and distant family is in bad shape. Most people I know/see in public places/am friends with/work with, etc are in bad shape and in-disciplined  Diabetes runs in our family tree and they expect me to get it too saying if something's hereditary, it'll hit me too. I disagree. As long as one is persistent and resilient, no disease can encroach into her/his body. It's all in the mind. But it doesn't mean you're gonna be fit without putting in effort. Eat right. Sleep right. Workout right and keep a calm/composed mind; and you'll be fine. The only thing hereditary I couldnt stop was grey hair thanks to my dad.

Again, one need not miss out on the pleasures of life. Yes, I indulge in eating junk. I have a super sweet-tooth and belt ice creams, chocolates, pastries etc but only occasionally  maybe once in a week or 10 days which accounts for the cheat meals. It's alright to indulge once in a while.

My mom says, there are loads of people who were perfectly fit, would workout everyday and they just collapse and died of stroke, heart attack etc. I'd rather be hit by a truck/get a heart attack or a stroke knowing that I've lived a life true to my principles rather than "enjoy" my life by being unfit, pigging out all the time, smoking and drinking . It might sound too dramatic but you see it was meant to be that way!

What I do seems eccentric to everybody now but as the great Bertrand Russell said:
"Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric."

No comments:

Post a Comment